Peer Health Exchange (PHE) is a national non-profit organization that creates education opportunities for peers to share the tools and resources young people need to make healthy decisions. Since 2003, we have trained more than 15,000 college students to deliver in-person health education to over 188,000 high school-aged young people in communities across the country. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we re-designed our in-person programming to be delivered virtually and partnered with high school students to understand their mental health needs. Following that collaboration, we launched our app selfsea.org for young people ages 13 – 18. In the past year, we’ve expanded from two in-person program models to five in-person and digital program offerings and we are continuing to grow! Our mission is critical, our team is diverse, and our work is vibrant. Check us out on TikTok (@peerhealthexchange)!
Learn more about our responsiveness and shift to digital in this article co-authored by our colleagues “Youths Know What They Need to Support Their Mental Health”!
About the role
As the Vice President, Development ("VP, Development")you will develop and execute PHE's fundraising strategy, oversee Legacy PHE's Development team, and serve as a key member of the Executive Team. You will report directly to the President.
About the Legacy Development team
The development team raises PHE’s philanthropic support through individual engagement and foundation grants, stewarding the PHE donor community and advisory boards to best sustain our mission.
Here’s what you should know:
This is a full-time, salaried position and can be located in any of our registered states. This role will require regular travel to meet with our most significant donors throughout the year.
Looking for more information about our awesome benefits, culture, and more? Visit our Careers Page and check us out on Glassdoor!
Here’s what you will do as part of our team:
- Raise $4.85M in national general operating for FY23 and build a strong philanthropic pipeline for future years.
- Develop and steward major philanthropic prospects in coordination with the CEO and President
- Create an effective philanthropy strategy to secure sustainable revenue and build a strong revenue culture internally
Philanthropic Strategy and Vision
- Develop, raise awareness of, and execute on long-term philanthropic revenue vision and strategy for the organization
- Lead recruitment of new development committee members to increase the financial capacity and diversity of the Board.
- Lead the development committee and work closely with the Chair of the development committee on strategy and board engagement.
- Partner with the President, Legacy, Marketing & Communications team, and CEO to define PHE’s marketing and communications strategy to elevate the brand recognition of the organization
- Recommend organizational revenue goals for annual planning process. Partner with the Executive Leaders to develop data-driven analyses of past financial performance, rigorous multi-year revenue strategies for diverse and predictable revenue, and establish the appropriate risk profile for revenue and expenses each year
- Serve as a critical thought partner and strategy supporter to colleagues on activities critical to the achievement of PHE's goals for sustainable, scalable growth
Leadership and Team Management
- Manage and develop direct reports and full Legacy Development team to a sustained high level of performance through coaching, mentorship, etc. to ensure that they are constantly acquiring new skills, as well as enhancing and growing their current skills
- Foster collaborative relationships between the Development team and the rest of PHE and monitor Team health and culture
- Create and implement effective and relevant staff onboarding and training in conjunction with other departments
- Exemplify to PHE’s core values and advance PHE’s vision for health equity in all aspects of our work, internally and externally
What you'll bring to the table:
- Demonstrate a strong passion for PHE’s mission to build healthier communities with young people; strong alignment with PHE’s core values of Health Equity, Commitment, Communication, Agency, and Impact.
- Centers youth inclusion, community partnership, and equity work visibly, broadly, in action in part through deep listening and hearing with a lens of inclusion.
- 10+ years of external affairs (philanthropy, fundraising, and/or development) experience for a growing organization
- A Bachelor's degree preferred OR 7+ years equivalent experience
- 8+ years of experience in progressive management (including the ability to inspire, motivate, influence, and hold staff accountable to significant standards)
- Has significant experience owning a pipeline of funders and successfully meeting progressively larger fundraising goals
- Has exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to communicate effectively with diverse constituents including PHE staff, board members, and supporters
- Must possess good business acumen and have experience managing sustainable operations
- Passionate about PHE’s vision and impact and willing to serve as a brand ambassador for the organization
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities of competing urgency and importance
- Has excellent organizational skills and extreme detail-orientation; must have the ability to positively influence a changing and vibrant work culture
- A demonstrated ability to lead and empower people and get results individually and collaboratively
- Exercises excellent judgment in decision-making
Your turn! We’d like to learn about you.
Please submit your resume and cover letter telling us why you are interested in our team and this role!
At Peer Health Exchange, we celebrate difference and are committed to providing equitable opportunities, addressing the effects of power and privilege. PHE is proud to be an equal employment opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, physical disability, veteran status or length of time spent unemployed. We want to empower people to change lives!
Note: Peer Health Exchange reserves the right to add additional duties, as needed. All Peer Health Exchange employees are encouraged to be flexible and responsive to changes in scope of duties.